Westwinds Online Advent Calendar – Day 4
It’s 19 days until Christmas!
Every day of Advent we will present you with treats and tries. Treats are totally free giveaways sponsored by Westwinds and our friends in the community. Tries are challenges designed to help you experience a more meaningful Christmas season.
Today’s giveaway is the book Nativity and Kingdom. It’s full of the untrue myths and legends surrounding the birth of Christ. Stories educate us and inspire us, motivate us to achieve and harden us so we might endure. True stories do this, but so do fairy tales. Because of their fanciful nature, these stories allow us to see ourselves with fresh eyes.
Download the PDF here (The file includes lots of high quality pictures, so it might take a while to download)
If you’re interested in a physical copy of Nativity and Kingdom, you can pick up a hardcover edition in our bookstore on Sundays or purchase the paperback edition at amzn.to/2BBRIpd
Today, try praying through this ancient practice called the Ignatian Examen. There are five steps designed to bring you clarity, cheer, and energy.
1. Become aware of God’s presence. Ask God to show you where and how he was working over the course of your day.
2. Review the day with gratitude. Thank God for all that he has permitted you to enjoy.
3. Pay attention to your emotions. Sometimes God speaks to us through our emotions. Which of yours felt like him? Which felt like you were out of control?
4. Choose one feature of the day and pray from it. Highlight something important and ask God for help and guidance in the future.
5. Look toward tomorrow. Ask God for strength and wisdom for the following day. You know you’ll need it, and it’s better to fill up before you run out of gas.
This is an excellent practice to fight the stress and fatigue of the holiday season. God bless you, and merry Christmas!